I started off this morning with a phone call to one of the favorite men in my life, my Grandpa, who turns 90 years old today. The one who still calls me "Susie Blue Eyes" even though they turned green almost forty years ago. He has lived twice my lifetime and then a few more years. At an age when many of my peers are losing parents, I am lucky enough to have a grandfather, and my daughters a great-grandfather. Although he may look weathered and worn from the years, at ninety he is still a pretty handsome guy. Not surprising, since he was quite the hunk in his younger days, looking a bit like Patrick Swayze in his old Army photo. He served in Europe in WWII, something that interests all of us far more than him. He won trophies for surfcasting and shuffleboard and still beats younger men at billiards. We share our birthday month and a special bond. His mind is still as sharp as ever. Today, as always, he makes me laugh, we talk politics, the stock market and the weather. He asks about "his girls" and how "the boy" is doing...do I have him working hard enough and is he treating me good? So Happy Birthday, Grandpa...and I hope I get to make the same call again next year and the next and for many more to come...
P.S. Here are a couple of pictures that were displayed at his birthday party last week. Didn't I tell you he's a hunk? ;o)

2 comments:
Hi Susan and happy, happy 90th birthday to your grandfather! Sounds like a wonderful man. Grandparents are special people!
Susan L in Florida
Sending a California Happy Birthday shout out to your grandpa!
Peace,
Hollywood
Post a Comment