Sunday, October 12, 2008

This movie may change your life...


When someone mentioned this movie on a yahoo message board, I paid little attention. Apparently, I need more of a push than that. Then yesterday a woman walked through Marshall's, yelling "Everyone, you have to go see the movie "Fireproof"...it will change your life!!" I thought she was some kind of a nut, but with the kind of day I was having, I was ready for a little change in my life. So I went online out of simple curiosity...'what is it about this movie that makes people want to spread the word about it?'

I discovered that it is a story of a firefighter whose most important fight becomes the one to save his marriage. Hmmm, sounds like a movie we could use right about now. I was still on the fence though. Would a movie really have that big an impact? This morning I looked out the front window and saw a fire truck parked across my driveway. There was no fire. Nothing. Just a big ol' ladder truck, packed with guys in full turnout gear, sitting in front of my driveway, with one man talking to the driver of the car in front of them. Weird. It seems that when God feels the need to send me a sign, it comes with flashing lights and a siren attached.

So I asked R. if he wanted to see a movie this afternoon when we dropped off C. with her friends. By now I was pretty convinced which one we should see, but just in case I was still not sure, an hour and a half later we were at Mass and the choir began singing a familiar song, from our wedding. "OK! I get it!! We're going to see Fireproof this afternoon." I didn't tell R. which movie though. We had discussed a few and I never told him I had already researched this one or that I thought it had a message we both needed to hear. I wanted to see his reaction to it without giving too much away.

You see, stress over several issues had been building in our home and my husband and I were arguing more than we ever had. Let's face it, marriage can be effortless, especially in the beginning. And then sometimes, it can be just plain hard. Add a couple of jobs, or the loss of a job. Throw in a some kids, with school, sports, work and social schedules. Health issues. Household repairs. Worries over the economy and college tuitions.

Soon it becomes exhausting ....frustrating....annoying...overwhelming. And of course, the person you wind up taking everything out on, is the one person closest to you. I found this quote from one of the actors in the movie that sums it up the best: "The marriage storyline is so true for many marriages today. We start off strong as a couple deeply in love. After a few years of tests and trials, we tend to fall away, forget our vows and lose our focus. God did not create marriage to be like this. I believe His purpose for us as man and wife is to love each other unconditionally in order to demonstrate to the world the love He shows for us. That's why this storyline is relevant for this time and season."

I am not going to review the movie here, other than to tell you that this movie said exactly what we both needed to hear. It involves a forty day challenge that is outlined in a book now available. We bought the book tonight. Tomorrow we start day one. Every couple married more than a week or so needs to see this movie. Every couple on the verge of splitting up definitely needs to see this movie. Every couple who has argued over the dirty dishes in the sink in the past week needs to see this movie. Maybe it won't change your life. But it will definitely change how you see your life and how you see each other.

In the movie, the lead character says "I'm a hero to the whole world...to everyone except my wife." R., You are now and have always been my hero, and I am sorry for every day I have not shown that. I love you with all my heart.

Don't wait for the firetruck to roll up with its lights flashing... Just GO!!! xoxo, Susan

5 comments:

Keely said...

Wow, you've got my attention! My dh and I have been in counselling since May and he doesn't want to continue. Do I fight him? or let it go? I let a lot go. Our counselor says I'm the most accepting person she's met. Hah! ok, tmi. sorry. You think the movie's good? I can't remember the last movie I saw. May be time for a date night.

Anonymous said...

WOW!
you needed a blog a LONG time ago!... LOVED your post. I had not even heard of this movie but am wondering if any theater in town is 20 minutes from showing it... probably not since it is past midnight here but ... humph.. wonder what MR. and MRS. Erhardt will be doing this weekend... NOT "THAT"... well, maybe "THAT" but I was refering to the movie.
xoox
Cath
PS... tell "R" hello.

ellagram said...

OK!--I'm going-- as soon as a theater around here shows it!!
miss you--
Carolyn

sandalloons40 said...

wow, glad you liked the movie. I might of announced it, I am not sure. That is my husband's most favorite movie. He loves being married. LOL and the meaning of this movie! I am going to have all of our children watch this before they marry!

Unknown said...

first of all i didn't even know you had a blog! second this was my sign cause your post about this movie comes at a PERFECT time! I will rent this tomorrow!!
Thank you!!